The notes are as follows:
2002, the University of Heidelberg, Uni Spiegel: Lecture series: Are we still the educational elite?
- in response to PISA
- "are we still the people of poets and thinkers?"
- PISA a cultural crisis
- no country reacted the same
- created a market for PISA
- Bildung: competence, knowledge
- clash of cultures
- educational "system"
- real world and challenges
- double discontent
- in defense -- cite concept of Bildung
- distinction between useful/useless knowledge
Grundbildung translates as literacy, but also as competence.
Married/connected concepts of Bildung, or the aim of knowledge, and Kompetenz.
This contrasts with knowledge, or Wissen.
- There was much discussion in Germany about these relationships
- inward Bildung vs. adjustment to the outer world
- Bildung -- "purposeless" knowledge not codifiable
- PISA -- value for money, ideology's cancer
- American pragmatism
- beginning of discussion in Europe
- "despicable utilitarianism"
- the clash between gentleman and Personlichkeit
- Bildung, or "masters of life" e.g. Humboldt, Goethe, "is unmeasurable"
- education in the Cold War: emphasis on mathematics, science, foreign languages
- development of human capital theory
- performance of students
- basic competencies of the next generation
- students' literacy skills
- the educational system
- concept of "one world"
- USA - development of industrial and scientific techniques
- PISA - not a specific cultural context: neglecting real-life situations and ignoring cultural competencies
- e.g. Germany: harmonious inner Personlichkeit vs. PISA: harmonious one world
- "inward Bildung" - Lutheranism
- "one world" - Calvanism
- questioning Bildung questions German national character
- German PISA -- less concerned with international standing, but the differences in German performance
- failure in integrating